If you’re looking for some head-to-toe Valentines inspiration, then look no further. Rush Hair and Dorothy Perkins have joined forces again to help you choose what to wear for the big day, whether you’re planning a night out with that ‘special someone’…. or special friends!
As Valentine’s Day falls on a Sunday this year, there are plenty of options for celebration: a decadent brunch, a fancy dinner, a day at the museum – the list goes on. To help you find a look you love, Dorothy Perkins has come up with four tempting outfit ideas for four different kinds of dates. And for the girls celebrating GALentines day instead, not to worry – they’ve got the perfect girls’ night outfit for you, too.
So here’s how to create head-turning style …
Romantic Night Out
Dorothy Perkins’ Valentine’s dresses are simply dreamy – sure to steal your heart (and his). Choose the one you love from slinky bodycon to flirty fit-and-flares and go glam with the accessories for fancy date nights.
Blow them away – Mr Right adores you however you look, so just be yourself this Valentines – with a bit of extra wow-factor! Never underestimate a big blow-dry in its ability to create head-turning style, whether you opt for a salon or DIY blow-dry. It creates extra bounce, volume and tonnes of shine when done right; here’s how to create a big blow-dry at home:
- Start by washing your hair with L’Oréal Professionnel Volumetry shampoo and conditioner
- Apply ample Volume Lift mousse to towel-dried hair to amplify the texture and volume
- Blow-dry upside down, focusing on the roots
- Finish with an almond-sized drop of oil for a healthy-looking shine. Run Redken Glowdry Oil through the ends – avoid the roots!
For curly hair types – enhance your natural beauty with a moisture surge from the Aveda Be Curly range. Great at reducing frizz and smoothing locks, the shampoos, conditioners and curl enhancing creams create a shiny, bouncy finish.
Keep it pretty casual with this lovely layered look. Perfect for country-pub jaunts, holding hands along the river bank or taking in city sights in style.
Love Knots – for casual undone-elegance try our favourite catwalk style, the top knot. Inspired by our admiration of the Downton Abby classic English Rose it’s the ideal hair style to complete this outfit – and especially if you plan to brave the riverside breeze.
To create a top knot at home:
- Start by smoothing your hair into a tight high ponytail on the crown of your head.
- Secure with a clear elastic so you can backcomb the entire ponytail of hair to add texture.
- Once complete twist the ponytail into a bun and secure.
- Fix the bun in place with a few discreet pins and spray with hairspray to hold. Aveda Styling Air Control Hair Spray is ideal.
Top-tip: use a Tangle Teezer or boar brush to teeser hair – backcombing with a comb tends to reduce volume because it compacts hair too tightly.
Hit the dance floor with your best mates and swap Valentine’s for a GALentine’s date. Sky-high heels paired with super-skinny jeans will create head-turning style.
Flirty Fringes – let your hair down; try something new before your night out with the ladies.
Big nineties bangs are back and a perfect way to add drama to your outfit. Whether it’s a sweeping side fringe or full blunt bangs, there’s something for everyone with this trend. Plus, it’s certain to give someone butterflies with long fluttering eye lashes beneath.
How to wear the fringe trend:
- Full blunt fringe: the epitome of flirty femininity. Long, wavy highlighted locks create a real 90’s statement. Suited to thicker hair and oval faces. Avoid if you have a rectangular face as this hair style will square your jaw!
- Soft side-sweeping fringe: suitable for all, it’s flexible, easy and great with any length or colour, especially balayage.
- Micro fringe: big characters can carry off this fashion-forward look. If you have a petite heart-shaped face and fine long hair, you can add plenty of attitude to your girls-night-out look.
- Seventies-split fringe: ideal for growing a fringe out, this cheek-bone grazing fringe is playful and fun, accentuating features like lips and cheeks.
Anywhere and anything outfit
Unsure what your beau is planning for the big day? Be prepared for a romantic trip to Europe, an overnight stay or a day trip to the country in ‘laid-back luxe’ – denim and a trench.
Charm Bands – complete your effortless, eye-catching outfit with a delicate head band and low chignon. The perfect partner to effortless cool layering. Easy to achieve and great for ‘day-two-hair,’ the chignon looks even better when following day-one-curls.
To create a low chignon at home:
- Start with the head band on and part your hair horizontally (like a half-up half-down hair do.)
- Pin the top section out of the way and sprinkle some volumising dust into the bottom section of your hair, layer by layer.
- Disperse the dust through your hair by running hands through it – this adds texture.
- Backcomb each layer then tie into a low bun.
- Release the top section and separate in two vertically.
- Secure the left piece of hair over the right side of the bun and wrap the right piece over the left-hand side of the bun.
- Finish by pinning the sides of your bun.
Fallen in love with these outfits? Head over to the DP Blog for more trends and for more date night hair style ideas vist our Pinterest board: