Hottest party hair styles & dresses.
Do you always leave shopping for your party dress to the last minute? Yeah, us too. But you know what happens when you do that? You either end up buying something you never want to wear again, or, you end up with nothing to wear! Have no fear, Dorothy Perkins & Rush Editors have joined forces to ensure you’re the hit of the party this season. The experts at Dorothy Perkins are here to help us with our wardrobe woes! Here’s the lowdown on the five hottest party dresses and hair styles for AW15, guaranteed to take you past December 31st.
The Bodycon Dress
Looking to wow? Then the bodycon dress is for you. It’s stealing the style spotlight right now on the runway and can be seen on all your favourite celebs from Kimmy K to JLo. Whether it’s enhanced with sequins, sheer mesh panels or cut-outs, in midi lengths or jersey materials, the bodycon dress is the way to make a confident statement.
The perfect party season hair style: sports-luxe inspired; the sleek high ponytail and a body con, (in whichever form-hugging style you choose) make the ultimate power couple. The sleek, understated hair style creates an effortless feel which complements the contouring of the dress. Two understated classics, one seriously head-turning style.
Recreate the look:
- On damp hair, apply an ample amount of volumising mousse from root to tip
- Take a triangle section of hair for the quiff and blow dry this forward over the face to add volume
- Using a boar bristle brush, dry the remainder of the hair away from the face to create a sleek finish
- Once dry, teese the hair for your quiff to add volume, simply take it piece by piece and very gently push hair your down towards your scalp*
- Once your quiff is complete, smooth everything back way from the face and tilt head back**
- Gather hair in a snag-free band and complete with a spritz of hairspray to add a high-shine look
*Top tips: don’t teese hair too hard as this prevents you from achieving maximum volume.
**Tilting your head back when you create a pony tail ensures the underneath of your pony tail is taught when you tilt your head forward again – sneaky huh!
Get the look:
The Little Black Dress
When in doubt, this wardrobe staple is the way to go. A classic LBD can be worn to any occasion, simply dress it up with a pair of killer heels or dress it down with a pair of ballet flats and a leather jacket.
Over the holiday season, you are sure to see hundreds of styles hitting the town, make sure you embellish yours with some fluff and feathers! We love this festive party look – what bright sparks they are at Dorothy Perkins!
The perfect party season hair style: if you’re thinking classic and ultra-feminine to complement your LBD, upgrade your hair with beautiful loose waves for that complete ‘English Rose’ effect.
Recreate the look:
- On damp hair apply Pli, heat-activated styling spray through mid-lengths and ends
- Dry as usual with a hair dryer and a paddle brush, to create a smooth finish
- Section hair over the ear, starting from the hair line, to the nape of the neck and secure the rest of the hair out of the way
- Take 1 inch-square sections and wrap it around your wand, in a direction away from your face
- Repeat and once complete run your hands through for a classic, glam curl
- To add some shine, apply a small drop of serum onto your fingers and through the ends
Get the look:
The Sequin Dress
Stand out in a crowd this season with the help of a sequin dress. A sure-fire way to sparkle on the dance floor or add some after-dark drama to your look. Complement the embellishment with a dazzling clutch bag and fitted blazer to keep your outfit on-point.
Don’t forget the finishing touches – complete your party look with a killer pair of heeled booties and for the extra glam amongst you – faux fur!
The perfect party season hair style: the transversal elegance of the Asymmetric Fishtail Braid makes it the perfect partner for a skater, sequin or lace dress. The intricate shapes and texture of the fabrics and the hair create a couture, yet whimsical feel; perfect if you’re the life and soul of a party.
Recreate the look:
- Part your hair on the left or right-hand side dependant on which you find easier to plait. Think about balancing your fringe if you have one, and what else you’re wearing.
- Starting like a simple French plait, pick up pieces from the sides, pulling into the plait, as you go
- At the nape of the neck, separate the remaining hair into two pieces for your fishtail
- Take 1 – 2cm pieces from the outer side of the left section and wrap it around the front, into the inside of the right section.
- Alternate all the way to the end of the braid and use a transparent snag-free clear band to secure
- Delicately separate your braid with your fingers before finishing with dry shampoo for extra texture
Get the look:
The Lace Dress
Lace gets a sophisticated makeover for Autumn.
Coming in sheer and cut out shapes, doused in a mix of daring and inky shades, this delicate material of Autumn’s makeover is anything but sweet. As seen on a number of key runways and fashionistas like Emma Stone, Jennifer Lawrence and Miranda Kerr, there’s no denying lace dresses are an enticing and important look this AW15.
Top tip: for added drama and Hollywood elegance, focus on the asymmetry of the fishtail braid. Start in the same manner as you did before with the french plait, but when you get to the nape of the neck, pull all your hair over one shoulder and braid your fishtail to one side of your face. We love a bit of statement styling guaranteed to turn heads this party season.
The Skater Dress
The classic fit and flare is a style that you cannot go wrong with. The flowy and feminine look is perfect for the dance floor. This is the perfect style to show off that waistline of yours and enhance it even more with a clinching slim belt.
Top top: really separate the Fishtail Braid for this look to make the style appear more undone, for laid-back glamour. Apply plenty of dry shampoo to add texture and a delicate feel, pull whispy bits from around the face to enhance the ethereal appearance of this look.
With so many options you’re sure to find a dress to cater to your party needs and with your dress and hair sorted you can focus on more important things, like where to go and who to bring!